The general requirement is that you demonstrate financial need. You must also be a U.S. citizen or be an eligible noncitizen and be enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program at a college or career school. If you are neither a citizen nor an eligible noncitizen, you are not eligible for federal student aid. However, you may be eligible for state or college aid, so you should still consider filling out a FAFSA application. For more detailed information about these criteria, talk to a financial aid officer at your school. Non-citizens should contact the their university’s international student’s office for further information about how their citizenship status may affect their eligibility for federal aid. There is no age limit when it comes to receiving federal student aid.

Need more information on how to become a U.S. citizen?

In order to become a U.S. citizen you must reside in the United States as a permanent resident continuously for five years. There is an application cost for citizenship. Applicants must know about basic U.S. history and government, and be able to speak, read and write simple English. There are a few reasons why you could be barred from obtaining citizenship, including a crime conviction. There are many advantages to becoming a U.S. citizen, including the right to vote, running for public office and receiving federal aid. Please check with an immigration attorney or visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website for more information.