Choosing a career.
Major career clusters
The following 16 career clusters represent the current fastest-growing and most promising industries out there (in no particular order). If you aren’t sure which career is right for you, start by taking the Career Cluster Interest Survey to see which career cluster you may want to explore more closely.
- 1. Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources
- This field deals with the production, processing, marketing, distribution, financing and development of agricultural commodities and resources such as food, fiber, wood products, natural resources and other plant and animal products.
- 2. Architecture & Construction
- These careers deal with the designing, planning, managing, building and maintaining structures and environments.
- 3. Arts, A/V Technology & Communications
- Careers that focus on the designing, producing, exhibiting, performing, writing and publishing of multimedia content, including visual and performing arts, journalism and entertainment services.
- 4. Business, Management & Administration
- This industry focuses on the planning, organizing, directing and evaluating of business functions essential to efficient and productive business operations.
- 5. Education & Training
- These careers center around the planning, managing and providing of education and/or training services such as administration, teaching, administrative support and professional support services.
- 6. Finance
- A concentration of careers related to financial and investment planning, banking, insurance and business financial management.
- 7. Government & Public Administration
- This field focuses on the planning and executing of government functions at the local, state and federal levels, including governance, national security, foreign service, planning, revenue and taxation, and regulations.
- 8. Health Science
- Careers that deal with the planning, managing and providing therapeutic and diagnostic services, health informatics, support services and biotechnology research and development.
- 9. Hospitality & Tourism
- This industry includes careers that prepare individuals to work in the restaurant and food services industry, the lodging, travel and tourism industry and the recreation, amusement and attractions industry.
- 10. Human Services
- Career pathways that relate to counseling, mental health services, family and community services, personal care and consumer services.
- 11. Information Technology
- Technical and professional careers related to the design, development, support and management of hardware, software, multimedia and system integration services.
- 12. Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security
- A concentration of careers focused on planning, managing and providing legal, public safety, protective services and homeland security, including professional and technical support.
- 13. Manufacturing
- Industry related to the planning, managing and performing the processing of materials into intermediate or final products.
- 14. Marketing, Sales & Service
- Careers that focus on performing marketing activities to reach organizational objectives such as brand management, professional sales, merchandising, marketing communications and research.
- 15. Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- These careers deal with scientific research and professional and technical services, including laboratory testing services and research and development services.
- 16. Transportation, Distribution & Logistics
- A concentration of careers that center around the planning, management and movement of people, materials and goods by road, pipeline, air, rail and water and related professional and technical support such as transportation infrastructure planning, logistics services, mobile equipment and maintenance.
Source: National Association of State Directors of Career Technical Education Consortium
Explore some more:
Research Your Options
My Next Move
Occupational Outlook Handbook